Thursday, June 29, 2006

Talking back to Uncle Sam

I'm not sure how I feel about this case, and frankly, I think my feeling is that I'd rather if it hadn't come up at all. Instinctively, I'd say employees don't under (almost) any circumstances have that privilege. Talking back to your boss should not be protected, nor should anything else that creates a difficult work environment in anyway (and if they want to fire you, it's presumably difficult to someone). Further, the expression of certain beliefs while at a particular firm or w/e can damage that firm and ought not to be protected. In these instances, it really should be up to the firm principals.

My hesitation on this case though is that it is the government. I think I'll probably end up writing something about the NYT/NSA/SWIFT stuff at some point, but suffice to say I think that VERY liberal free speech should be protected within government. It's our ultimate check upon it. In some ways it’s our only one. Moreover, the bill of rights limits the government's authority to crack down on free speech, and those limits don't seem to end at contractual employees, even ones that are viewed as nearly private sector, like teachers. I don't yet know what the speech he gave concerned, but I'm going to go read the case right now, so expect (and this is really just my own way of forcing me to write on this) more on the case later, also, presumably, as wingnuts get nuttier and nuttier (and talk about nationalizing the NYT (saw it earlier, cant find the link)), I'll probably post some sort of detailed response or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home